Stillman’s CSA strikes again… an abundance of green peppers all in the last few weeks. I love stuffed peppers and this recipe that I found on Pinterest sounded like a winner. It ended up being pretty delicious and resulted in a nice variety of leftovers. More on that after the recipe.
(Adapted from Kalynskitchen.com)
Serves 4 + Small leftovers
2 large green bell peppers
1 c uncooked brown rice
1 c onion, diced
3 tsp olive oil
1 link bratwurst
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 c grated Parmesan
1/4 c shredded mozzarella
1. Cook rice according to directions on package, or make in a rice cooker.
2. Preheat oven to 375. Prepare a square baking dish by spraying with cooking spray.
3. Slice the tops off of the peppers and remove the stems. Dice the remaining flesh from the pepper top.
4. Slice peppers longways so you have 4 halves total. Lay the peppers down, cut side up, and notice if one side seems to be higher than the other. Where you see this, slice off about a half inch thick section and dice that as you did with the pepper top. You should end up with about a half cup of diced pepper. (If not, don’t stress… you want your peppers to be like little bowls, so don’t trim too much!)
5. Place peppers in the baking dish, fitting them so they move as little as possible.
6. Heat 2 tsp of the oil in a large skillet. Add the diced onion and pepper and cook about 3 minutes until somewhat softened. Remove to a bowl.
7. In skillet, add remaining 1 tsp of oil. Squeeze bratwurst out of its casing and cook until browned, breaking it up into small pieces throughout the cooking.
8. Add onion/pepper mixture back into skillet. Add oregano. Salt and pepper to taste.
9. Add the cooked rice and Parmesan cheese and cook long enough to warm, about 2 minutes.
10. Spoon the mixture into the hollowed out peppers. Fill them as much as you can until the filling starts falling out. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, then bake for about 20 minutes, until peppers can be punctured with fork fairly easily, but still have a little resistance.
11. If you had any leftover filling, place in small ramekins and top with mozzarella as well. Bake alongside the stuffed peppers for variety in your leftovers.
Weight Watchers Points: 6